Sunday, July 18, 2010

Todays near boxing match...

So this was an interesting one... Those that know me, know I put more emphasis on wit than braun... So to be close to a boxing match is a little out of character...

Decided to cruise three canyons again today... The third canyon has a nice little switchback descent that takes you into Green Valley which is a great place to refill bottles and get a little ice... I'm coming off the steep downhill and cruising into town, the roads are still somewhat winding but no more switchbacks... I'm coming down the road at about 40 mph and see this little Toyota pickup pull up to a cross road... He looks left then right (right at me) then proceeds to turn left right in front of me... Well, he was actually pulling into the oncoming traffic lane despite the fact that there was a blind corner 100 meters down the road... I noticed he had his windows down, so I gave a quick "HEY" to let him know I was there... Well, I forgot I was in California and apparently that "HEY" insulted his intelligence... He pulls up along side me pissed as a hornet after I barely squeezed by him. We're rolling up to the gas station where I usually refill bottles and this is how the conversation went:

Dude: *Pulls up along side me yelling:* "Why you getting on my s@#t, I saw you coming."

Me: "What? You saw me coming? That makes it even worse dude!"

Dude: "I was in the oncoming lane you little s@#t, I knew what I was doing"

Me: "Well, seeing as there was a blind corner 100 meters in front of you, obviously you didn't" "Where were you gonna go if a car came around the corner? right into me right?"

Dude: "Why you getting on my s@#t? You little s@#t, I'm gonna kick your a$#!"

At this point we're rolling into the gas station where there is a group of cyclists just sitting there watching the show come down the road and roll into the gas station...

Dude: *Swerves his truck into the gas station, blocking any cars at the gas pump. He jumps out of his truck as I roll up to the entrance to the gas station and casually dismount my bike. I lean it up against the window and turn around expecting to see this guy charging me... Instead, he is in the process of flipping around to go chase his truck down as it starts rolling down the hill... He clumsily jumps in the window of his truck and grabs the E Brake...*

Me: *Standing there holding my bottle taking it all in with amusement*

Dude: *Stomps up towards me*

Me: *I'm bracing myself for this guy to try something, making sure I had a good footing in case I had to defend myself* (all those who have walked in bike cleats know how difficult that is)

Dude: "What's your problem? Why you jumping my s@#t? "

Me: "Dude, I have more to lose than you do... You'll end up with a dent in your truck, I can end up dead... I would rather yell HEY instead of counting on the fact that you may know what you're doing"

Dude: *Proceeds to walk towards me the whole time like he's going to charge, but walks right past me into the store yelling obscenities the whole time...*

Me: *Walk in the store and refill my bottles, trying the whole time not to burst into laughter...*
*Give my normal greeting to the girl at the cash register, who is also trying not to laugh and get back on my merry way*

What a day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!
Welcome to Hickville.
Glad that douche bag had the sense to keep walking.

Tom,Az