Wednesday, April 15, 2009

so... what's the minority situation again?

I cruised down to our local grocery store, which lets face it, is kind of in the hood. I was walking around with my basket scoping out sales and all the nonfat, lowfat, and sugar free good stuff when, while passing by a family, I feel the palm of a hand slap my back... I was certain it came from the kid sitting in the basket I had just walked by with his family circled close by... I brushed it off as no big deal... until... I heard the kid say:

"Hey! Mama... I just hit a white man!" !!! (yes, it was said with as much enthusiasm as the exclamation marks imply and sounded like something he was proud of)

The kid was quickly hushed by his sister and I walked off with a rather disturbed feeling about the whole thing. I had thoughts about the civil rights movement and the many hardships endured by the African Americans including situations such as those among others that were far worse... Today, I had the thought that things may have come full circle and the very things that were endured during the civil rights movement by African Americans seems to be making their way back around to everyone else... funny how that works... does that make it right? Is there a reason to bore down a grudge that may be felt from a time before you or any one the grudge is against was born? Don't get it... there is so much out there to support "minorities", yet the animosity and lack of responsibility appears to be through the roof among many of the "minorities"...

No comments: