Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunny King crit report


Sunny King was a smash and grab trip in an attempt to get a little NRC racing in the legs. This was my first go at an NRC race this year. I figured I knew what to expect since I've done enough comparable races in the past. Turned out I was a little too complacent... I intended on using some basic aluminum wheels so I wouldn't be worried about crashing and destroying a several thousand dollar wheelset. Turned out one of my teammates talked me into using his carbon deep dish wheels. I threw those bad boys on and while they looked cool, they squeeled like a stuck pig anytime I touched the brakes since I wasn't running carbon brake pads. I figured I would be fine, the race would be fast and I wouldn't have to brake much... The race was blistering fast, but I should've known that you gotta have good braking to maintain position in these races...

I know I've done races with that guy in the race whose brakes squeel so loud, it can be heard on the other side of the course and nobody ever wants to be behind that guy. There is always jockying for position in these races, but that guy probably always gets it the worst. Well... I was that guy... So, despite my 2nd row start, I was quickly getting elbowed and pushed backwards till I took my place of shame at the back of the pack. I stayed there till it looked like things were gonna hit the fan, then I would move up just enough to get in front of the splits happening on the back till I was once again in my "spot of shame"... So... this is kind of how my race was defined... Did get to bridge up ater getting caught behind a crash and it wasn't too tough to do so... But, the 40 guys who did not go down in the crash getting a free lap and getting let in at the front took another blow to the pride... Making my "spot of shame" all the more painful. With 50 laps behind me and 10 to go, I made a push up towards the front and focused on holding my position squeeling brakes and all. I was doing all kinds of cuddling at 30 mph through 90 degree corners. Still didn't get away with it, I kept inching backwards just at a slower pace than before. That was about it for me on a mental level... I like racing my bike, when I can't do that and I get stuck just riding in circles, I stop having fun... I was hurting from that final push, wasn't having fun, and since I was the only guy from my squad I had no one to work for to keep me pushing... So, I pulled out popped open a beer and watched the finish...

Hopefully I got the stupidity out of the way early and can put it all together for collegiate nationals in May and the NRC calender to follow... Big thanks to Wichita Falls Bike Club, Rouse Bicycles, and Hotter n Hell for getting us to these races. Another thanks to Francis' Soap for keeping my skin smooth and smelling fresh and clean!

1 comment:

AndrewsBuilders said...

Thank you for sharing the post.kindly visit us @ Builders in tuticorin - Andrews Builders