Thursday, April 09, 2009

Kicking off the Easter break...

with a little wednesday night racing in Fort Worth with the TBI criterium that benefits juniors. After class got out, Lalla, Josh, Mclane, John, and myself loaded up the car and jammed down there making one pee stop on the side of the freeway during rush hour. After cruising around the course and taking note of the wind, we all started looking for reasons to pack it in but none of us did (except for Lalla about halfway through??? what's up with that dude???)... John pulled 9th in his race, which was cool seeing as he is kind of a newcomer to the racing scene. Our race started off with quite a few attacks and after following several, I finally ended up in one that would stick to the finish with 3 other guys. I was on the ragged edge for a bit doing anywhere from 500-600 watts pulling through into the headwind. Finally after a little sitting on, once we appeared to have a good gap, I got the heart rate back under control. I kind of sandbagged a bit, hoping to do something in the sprint, but when that came around I got beat by everyone and pulled 4th... Not sure what happened, but there's no reason I shouldn't have at least beat the two guys that appeared to be working more than me... made me wish I worked a little harder just for the workout if anything... We had a pretty big gap on the field towards the end, which was surprising given the wind. Word was the pace slowed when a rider decided to sucker punch Josh during a prime, when this guy thought Josh was cheating by crossing the double yellow for the sprint which was actually announced as being allowed for the primes and final sprint before the race... It sounded like everyone sat up to watch Josh set this dude straight. I dug the race (outside of whatever ego thing would cause someone to think they could punch someone), it's cool that this crit is a revenue for juniors and from what I've heard TBI takes good care of the younger racers.

No comments: